Avenue of the Giants - One Giant Adventure
Visitors flock to Fortuna all year round to make the most of the great outdoors. They often stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites Redwood Country to search for breathtaking views and rugged terrain, which this stretch of California coast is more than happy to provide.
Once you’ve checked in and unpacked, you can venture out and take a drive north. Here you’ll discover the Avenue of the Giants, one of the biggest attractions for scenery seekers. This winding highway runs through Humboldt Redwoods State Park and certainly lives up to its name, with an abundance of coastal redwood trees that tower over the road and the surrounding area. Here are some of the best sights to watch out for along this 31-mile stretch of highway.
The Immortal Tree
The Eternal Tree House
Drive Thru Trees
South Fork of the Eel River
Ready to hit the road?
Check out these tips before setting off:
• Pack a picnic. There’s a huge selection of picnic sites dotted along the highway and around the popular swimming spots, so you can snack on sandwiches and soak up the sunshine.
• Take plenty of water and a map. Although there are gas stations and towns along the way, it’s important to be prepared.
• If you’re planning on exploring the forest, wear suitable shoes and clothing.
• Remember to pack your camera and spare batteries so you can take plenty of pictures. The forest is full of photo opportunities, from the dappled light through the trees to the towering sequoias.
• Enjoy the quiet. Plenty of spots in the forest are incredibly peaceful, with just the creaking of the branches and the rustle of the leaves in the breeze.
• Stop off for a coffee. The route is dotted with tiny towns that are a lot of fun to explore.
• Look out for the Auto Tour signs. These indicate an interesting point up ahead where you can pull over, stretch your legs and explore.